What’s on in Fort William and Lochaber
Welcome to our regular round-up of events taking place in the Fort William and Lochaber area. We’ve decided to change the format of this monthly blog post so we’ll now cover the next two months and any recurring events are in their own section. We’re having a fairly good winter for skiing so what about the Apres Ski?
Wednesday 21st February sees the return of the Fort William Mountain Festival to the Nevis Centre. There’s a packed programme. Not to be missed are Spike & Sudsey’s Tall Tales on the opening night and the closing night screening of the Banff Centre Mountain Film Festival World Tour on to Sunday 25th February. There’s also a series of workshops and a fringe arts programme which includes a talk and exhibition by Dougie Cunningham on his project to provide a guide for photographers to the best locations in Scotland for landscape photography, a talk and book signing by award-winning outdoor writer Cameron McNeish, and a talk on the archaeology of Dun Deardail, an Iron Age fort in Glen Nevis.
Feeling like a challenge in February? The Fort William Runduro is on Saturday the 24th February. The event, which began in 2015, links Fort William and Glen Nevis in what is described as a “cheeky 21 km trail race with a twist”. This year there are also Short (14km) and Taster (12km) routes to try.
Screenmachine, a mobile cinema that serves the highlands will be in Fort William at the Nevis Centre from Saturday 24th to Monday 26th February when they will be showing a variety of films including Rocket Post (a National Theatre of Scotland show), Coco, The Darkest Hour, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, Star Wars: the Last Jedi and Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle. For more details and to book online visit their website.
From 2nd February to 3rd March it’s FebruaryFest2018 at The Clachaig Inn, Glencoe. There’s lots on including whiskey and gin tastings, a weekly pub quiz on Mondays, mountain safety lectures on a Tuesday night. Live music on offer, in addition to their regular open session on a Sunday night, includes:
- Saturday 10th February, 9 pm – The Riska Ceilidh Band
- Friday 16th February, 9:30 pm – Troighsgeir
- Saturday 17th February, 9 pm – Fras
- Saturday 24th February, 9 pm – Tartan Paint
Saturday 3rd March sees the start of the 2018 shinty season. Local teams Lochaber, Kilmallie and Fort William all have home fixtures that weekend and on Saturday 24th March Fort William will be at home at An Aird to local rivals Kilmallie again following their friendly in February, this time however they will be competing in the second tier Marine Harvest National Division.
More No Fuss Events challenges in March; on Saturday 10th March, the Wee Triathlon involves a 400 m swim, a 10-mile bike ride and a 3-mile cross country run in Glen Nevis. A week later on Saturday 17th March is the Ski-an-duro, combining snowsport with mountain biking.
In Glencoe, the Clachaig Inn’s FebruaryFest2018 ends on Saturday 3rd March with music by Lucy Doogan but the music continues throughout March:
- Saturday 10th March, 9 pm – Pictism
- Saturday 17th March, 9 pm – Moonshine Maggie
- Saturday 24th March, 9 pm – Scott MacDonald
- Friday 30th March, 9:30 pm – The Shine
- Saturday 31st March, 9 pm – Eilidh Steel and Mark Neal
And there’s also the opportunity to see Manran at the Nevis Centre in Fort William on Saturday 24th March and if you fancy a movie on Saturday 31st March you have a choice of new releases Early Man or Black Panther, again at the Nevis Centre.
- The Grog & Gruel on Fort William High Street has an open music session every Friday evening from about 9 pm – well worth venturing out for!
- There are open sessions at the Clachaig Inn in Glencoe every Sunday from 9 pm
- 28th April – 10 Under the Ben
- 5th May – Macavalanche, Glencoe
- 7th to 12th May – The Scottish Six Day Trials
- 2nd to 3rd June – The UCI Mountain Bike World Cup
- 7th June – The Legends of American Country Tribute Show
- 9th June – Three Peaks Yacht Race, Barmouth, Wales to Corpach
- 9th June – Arisaig Agricultural Show
- TBC August – Glen Nevis River Race
- 25th July – Arisaig Highland Games & Clan Donald Gathering
- 5th August – Mallaig And Morar Highland Games
- 18th August – The Glenfinnan Gathering
- TBC 25th August – Lochaber Agricultural Show
- 1st September – The Ben Nevis Race
- 22nd September – Marathon de Ben Nevis and the Tour de Ben Nevis
- 30th September – Glencoe Marathon Gathering
- 20th October – WEMBO Solo 24 hour World Championship 2018
- 3rd November – Kinlochleven Enduro