What’s on in Fort William – December 2017
Welcome to our regular round-up of events taking place in the Fort William area. There’s plenty to get you into the festive mood and of course, Hogmanay is not far behind…
There are several Hogmanay bashes where you can welcome in the New Year in style.
- The closest event, in fact, it would be hard to get an event that is closer to our accommodation, is the Hogmanay Ceilidh in the Kilmallie Community Centre, Corpach. Speak to John or Tina if you would like tickets reserving
- There’s also Hogmanay at the Nevis Centre in Fort William…
- …and a little further away the Clachaig in Glen Coe will be hosting their “legendary” Hogmanay Hoolie.
- If you need to clear your head on January the 1st why not join in the Hogmanay Open Water Swim in Loch Linnhe? If you don’t fancy dipping your toes you can always cheer on the
lunatics, sorry participants, from the safety of the old fort.
If this is your first time in Scotland for Hogmanay just a quick word of caution: most pubs and hotels will be hosting some form of an event for Hogmanay but most are ticketed even if they are free. Make sure you have your evening planned well in advance to save wandering the mean streets of Fort William trying to find a venue which isn’t packed to the rafters. Also, do please bear in mind that both the 1st and 2nd of January are public holidays in Scotland so a lot of shops will be closed or on reduced hours.
Whilst the open water swim isn’t for everyone why not go for a refreshing winter walk on New Years Day: have a look at another of our blog articles for some ideas.
There are several musical offerings in December:
- Thursday 14th sees the Lochaber Christmas Carol Extravaganza at the Nevis Centre in Fort William
- On the 2nd January, Skipinnish & Skerryvore, two very highly regarded modern folk bands are co-headlining at the Nevis Centre in Fort William. It is an over 18s only event.
- There are open sessions at the Clachaig Inn in Glencoe every Saturday from 9 pm and also:
- Pictism on Friday the 1st
- The Clachaig Christmas Party on Thursday the 7th
- The Shine on Friday the 8th
- The Crisdean MacDonald Band on Friday the 15th
- Kinky Karma on Friday the 29th
- …and other bands still to be announced, the full itinerary is available here…
- The Grog & Gruel on Fort William High Street has an open music session every Friday evening from about 9 pm – well worth venturing out for!
- 2nd February to 3rd March – FebruaryFest2018 at The Clachaig Inn, Glencoe
- 29th February – Fort William Runduro
- 21st to 25th February – Fort William Mountain Festival
- 7th to 12th May – The Scottish Six Day Trials
- 2nd to 3rd June – The UCI Mountain Bike World Cup
- 9th June – Three Peaks Yacht Race, Barmouth, Wales to Corpach
- 18th August – The Glenfinnan Gathering
- 30th September – Glencoe Marathon Gathering