What’s on in Fort William and Lochaber
Welcome to our regular round-up of events taking place in the Fort William and Lochaber area. So what’s on in March and April 2018?
Saturday 3rd March was due to see the start of the 2018 shinty season but the weather had something to say about that! The first teams of local clubs Lochaber, Kilmallie and Fort William will now all be away on what is going to be the actual start of the season, Saturday 10th March. However, their seconds will be at home that Saturday and the Lochaber Ladies teams are at home to Fort William Ladies in Spean Bridge on Sunday 11th March. Later in the month Kilmallie first team host Inverness and Fort William host Glasgow Mid Argyll on Saturday 17th March and then on Saturday 24th March we have a local derby with Fort William at home at An Aird to local rivals Kilmallie. If you’ve not experienced shinty before we’d thoroughly recommend taking in a game whilst you’re visiting the area and we’ve written an article to explain a bit more about the game to the uninitiated.
No Fuss Events have a couple of challenging events in March: on Saturday 10th March, the Wee Triathlon involves a 400 m swim, a 10-mile bike ride and a 3-mile cross country run in Glen Nevis. A week later on Saturday 17th March is the Ski-an-duro, combining snowsport with mountain biking.
In Glencoe, the Clachaig Inn’s FebruaryFest2018 ends on Saturday 3rd March with music by Lucy Doogan but the music continues throughout March:
- Saturday 10th March, 9 pm – Pictism
- Saturday 17th March, 9 pm – Moonshine Maggie
- Saturday 24th March, 9 pm – Scott MacDonald
- Friday 30th March, 9:30 pm – The Shine
- Saturday 31st March, 9 pm – Eilidh Steel and Mark Neal
And there’s also the opportunity to see Manran at the Nevis Centre in Fort William on Saturday 24th March and if you fancy a movie on Saturday 31st March you have a choice of new releases Early Man or Black Panther, again at the Nevis Centre.
Fancy a [Good Friday] Dip? On Friday 30th March at you can join in an open swim from the Old Fort in Fort William. Starts at 10:00 am, wetsuits a definite must!
There are Easter eggs to be hunted at the National Trust for Scotland’s Glencoe Visitor Centre from Good Friday through to Easter Sunday (3oth March to 1st April).
On Thursday 5th April Off Beat Bikes are running their regular monthly Social Mountain Bike Ride. Meet at their shop on Fort William High Street at 6 pm, no need to book.
On Saturday 14th April, and also organised by Off Beat Bikes, is the Annoach Mor Uphill Running Race. It starts at the Nevis Range carpark at 3 pm (registration open from 2 pm) and follows the World Cup Mountain Bike course to the top Gondola station, the registration fee includes a ticket to get you back down again! “Great for all abilities and also for beginners to hill running.”
There’s, of course, more music at the Clachaig Inn in Glencoe in April:
- Saturday 7th April, 9 pm – Calum MacPhail and Sean Cousins
- Saturday 14th April, 9 pm – Zetor in the Kailyard
- Saturday 21st April, 9 pm – Box O’ Bananas
- Saturday 28th April, 9 pm – The Iona Fyfe Band
Mountain bikers can join the 10 Under the Ben challenge which is one of the longest-running events for the organisers, No Fuss Events. As they say, “10 Under the Ben and the amazing trails around Leanachen forest guarantees a great day’s riding (regardless of the weather). It does not matter whether you are racing or out for a ride with like-minded people, the emphasis is on enjoyment, friendship and a fun atmosphere.”
- The Grog & Gruel on Fort William High Street has an open music session every Friday evening from about 9 pm – well worth venturing out for!
- There are open sessions at the Clachaig Inn in Glencoe every Sunday from 9 pm
- If you fancy joining some of the locals for one of a variety of road and mountain based running and cycling events the Off Beat Bikes Events page is worth a look. We’ve listed some highlights above.
- The National Trust for Scotland’s Glencoe Visitors Centre runs regular Landrover Safaris though-out the high season. More details can be found on their events page.
- 5th May – Macavalanche, Glencoe
- 7th to 12th May – The Scottish Six Day Trials
- 2nd to 3rd June – The UCI Mountain Bike World Cup
- 7th June – The Legends of American Country Tribute Show
- 9th June – Three Peaks Yacht Race, Barmouth, Wales to Corpach
- 9th June – Arisaig Agricultural Show
- TBC August – Glen Nevis River Race
- 25th July – Arisaig Highland Games & Clan Donald Gathering
- 5th August – Mallaig And Morar Highland Games
- 18th August – The Glenfinnan Gathering
- TBC 25th August – Lochaber Agricultural Show
- 1st September – The Ben Nevis Race
- 22nd September – Marathon de Ben Nevis and the Tour de Ben Nevis
- 30th September – Glencoe Marathon Gathering
- 20th October – WEMBO Solo 24 hour World Championship 2018
- 3rd November – Kinlochleven Enduro