What’s on in Fort William – October 2017
Welcome to our (fairly) regular round-up of events taking place in the Fort William area which visitors to the area, especially if they are staying with us at the Snowgoose Apartments, are sure to enjoy.
One of highlights of the year is the Am Mòd Nàiseanta Rìoghail / The Royal National Mòd which starts at 6:30pm on Friday 13th with a torchlight procession in Fort William led by the Lochaber Pipeband followed by the opening ceremony. If you haven’t been to “The Mòd” (as it is more commonly known) before, it centres on a series of formal competitions and awards all celebrating Gaelic culture and language and involving Gaelic choirs and soloists, traditional music and spoken word. Alongside the actual Mòd itself there is a fringe programme which runs through until Saturday 21st October, the programme for which can be downloaded here, highlights include:
- The 10th Shinty v Hurling Final between Scotland and Ireland at An Aird on Saturday 14th at 3pm.
- The Fiddler’s Rally, also on Saturday 14th, is at the Nevis centre at 7:30pm.
- Children’s Ceilidhs at Caol Community Centre on Monday 16th and Tuesday 17th at 7pm.
- The Convener’s Ceilidh at 10:30pm at the Masonic Hall on Thursday 19th.
- The Mòd is (nearly!) brought to a close with the Mòd Closing Dance at the Nevis Centre starting at 10:30pm on Friday 20th, featuring Trail West and Tidelines, who are amongst a number of musicians who will be performing in the pubs of Fort William throughout the week.
- …but if your head’s not too sore the next morning (from 10:30am on Saturday 21st), we’d recommend you head to Fort William High Street for a performance by the massed choirs.
Tickets can be purchased online here, from the box office in the Nevis Centre, or the Mòd Shop on Fort William High Street.
Continuing the musical goings-on in Fort William this month Lucy Spraggan will be performing at the Nevis Centre in Fort William on Saturday 28th at 8pm (more info…). You can also find the Glenfinnan Ceilidh Band performing in the Glenfinnan House Hotel on Thursday 26th from 9pm.
If that’s just too much music and you’re looking for a good reason to ride your mountain bike around in circles in a dark forest then you will no doubt welcome the return of the Relentless Endurance 24, a 24-hour mountain bike challenge for individual riders or teams which starts at 11am on Saturday 28th at Nevis Range (more info…).
- 31st December – Hogmany Ceilidh, Kilmallie Community Centre, Corpach (speak to John or Tina if you would like tickets reserving)
- 31st December – Hogmany at the Nevis Centre
- 2nd January 2018 – Skipinnish & Skerryvore at the Nevis Centre
- 2nd February to 3rd March – FebruaryFest2018 at The Clachaig Inn, Glencoe
- 29th February – Fort William Runduro
- 21st to 25th February 2018 – Fort William Mountain Festival
- 7th to 12th May – The Scottish Six Day Trials
- 2nd to 3rd June – The UCI Mountain Bike World Cup
- 9th June – Three Peaks Yacht Race, Barmouth Wales to Corpach
- 19th August -The Glenfinnan Gathering